Old 01-08-2004, 10:22 PM
Billy M. Rhodes

Default [IBC] Soil for Buttonwoods

I am repotting some recently purchased, collected buttonwoods. I am always
disappointed to see how few roots these plants have. I have one that has been
repotted by me to a 12 inch bulb pan using Metro Mix 500 and I don't think the
roots have spread since I transplanted it a year or more ago. It is still
alive and putting out new growth, just no roots to speak of. Any other tropical
would have filled the pot with roots by now.
My normal fertilizer is Osmocote 14-14-14.
Another buttonwood I just repotted this afternoon was growing in what looked
like a mixture of Florida peat and bark. It had been purchased from a vendor
in South Florida. It had a few more roots, but not many. I know it is over a
year since it was collected.
I have tried bonsai soil of 1/3 Turface, 1/3 gravel and 1/3 composted pine
bark. Those plants are dead.

Billy on the Florida Space Coast

++++Sponsored, in part, by Chris Cochrane++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 01-08-2004, 10:28 PM
Alan Walker

Billy: Have you tried Roots 2? I've found it helps establish root
growth in bonsai which had been perennially poor at this,
irregardless of soil mix. In fact, I'm looking for a new source,
since I think my old source is no longer in business.
Alan Walker

Old 01-08-2004, 10:53 PM
Billy M. Rhodes

Alan

Thanks for the suggestion. I have never tried it, but will also look for a
source.

Old 01-08-2004, 11:39 PM
jim

At 05:22 PM 8/1/2004 -0400, Billy M. Rhodes wrote:
[...]

Billy, I use lava, gravel, pine bark and coral in equal amounts and mine
thrive here in Arkansas. I initially started using the coral before I knew
any better and have not discontinued it. I only repot about every four
years. The roots of buttonwood are very fragile and I clean off the old
soil with a stream from a water hose. Buttonwood don't make the quantity
of roots most other plants do so if they are healthy they have sufficient
roots.

Old 02-08-2004, 08:07 PM
dalecochoy

Billy,
Have you tried Tom Brantley ( of Ocala) soil. Seems perfect to me, and I
would prefer his coarse type ( very similar to my own)
I've brought MAAANYYYY trees back from Florida for myself or for retail, and
the FIRST thing I try to do if keeping them is get them out of that goopy
goppy Florida nursery soil. They stay tooo wet and , especially during
winter inside, it is slow death. Everything CAN get root rot. I got a large
BC from the same vendor you got your Buttonwoods from. It just SAT THERE
and did nothing for 1 1/2 months after the show. Two weeks ago i decided I
better get it repotted to make it through my winter. What a mess of goop,
rotted roots, and rotted large roots of OTHER TREES traveling through the
soil that were never removed. In lose aggregate new soil it is immediately
taking off.!!
but,
Are you SURE your dead plants were from the coarse soil you used? I'd surely
doubt it. I gave up on buttonwood in Ohio ( like trying to overwinter a
tomatoe plant) but I always thought they were one of the trees for you guys
that establish well with few roots ( Or NONE!!)
Dale Cochoy

[...]

[IBC] For growers of buttonwoods Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 04-02-2005 12:41 AM
[IBC] Buttonwoods Jim Dantin Bonsai 1 03-12-2004 12:33 PM
Is Garden Magic Top Soil suitable as soil (by itself)? Cicero_wnb Gardening 22 12-04-2004 07:32 AM
Tarwi can grow in acid soil, fix nitrogen, kill a potato soil nematode, and its seed can yield a gre briancady413 Permaculture 0 09-08-2003 08:23 AM
recommendations for great top soil or soil with perlite? Linda North Carolina 8 01-05-2003 05:47 PM