Old 28-07-2004, 08:08 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Aphids and Ants

I'm having an Aphid infestation. There are a lot of ants around
the
area, too. My Aphid treatments have not been fully successful.

Do I
need to treat both at once? . Or anothwr question is are the

ants
reinfecting my plant with aphids?

Dear, um . . . neon-bikini:

Aphid treatments in order of benign-ness.

1. A HARD spray of water on the infected areas (you may need to
tie the tree into its pot before doing this -- and do NOT spray
the soil!)

2. Safers (tm) soap spray (or a home-made soap spray, see
archives) sprayed ON the aphids. DO NOT USE ON TRIDENT MAPLES!

3. Any of the many pesticide sprays containing pyrethrins.

The ants are there because of the aphids, not vice versa.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Chris Cochrane++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++