Old 28-07-2004, 07:24 PM
neon_bikini

Default Aphids and Ants

I'm having an Aphid infestation. There are a lot of ants around the
area, too. My Aphid treatments have not been fully successful. Do I
need to treat both at once? . Or anothwr question is are the ants
reinfecting my plant with aphids?
Old 28-07-2004, 08:08 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Aphids and Ants

I'm having an Aphid infestation. There are a lot of ants around
the
area, too. My Aphid treatments have not been fully successful.

Do I
need to treat both at once? . Or anothwr question is are the

ants
reinfecting my plant with aphids?

Dear, um . . . neon-bikini:

Aphid treatments in order of benign-ness.

1. A HARD spray of water on the infected areas (you may need to
tie the tree into its pot before doing this -- and do NOT spray
the soil!)

2. Safers (tm) soap spray (or a home-made soap spray, see
archives) sprayed ON the aphids. DO NOT USE ON TRIDENT MAPLES!

3. Any of the many pesticide sprays containing pyrethrins.

The ants are there because of the aphids, not vice versa.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Chris Cochrane++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 29-07-2004, 03:27 AM
Iris Cohen

are the ants reinfecting my plant with aphids?

Yes. Ants are accomplished ranchers. A systemic insecticide like Orthenex will
take care of the problem. Some people say not to use Orthenex on maples, but I
haven't noticed any problem.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 29-07-2004, 11:44 AM
Andrew G

"neon_bikini" wrote in message
om...
I'm having an Aphid infestation. There are a lot of ants around the
area, too. My Aphid treatments have not been fully successful. Do I
need to treat both at once? . Or anothwr question is are the ants
reinfecting my plant with aphids?

Any systemic pesticide that is designed for killing aphids will do it. That
should definitely get them, with probably only 2 applications at rates/times
indicated on instructions.
You can blast them off with a hose, but be sure that you do it well away
from where your bonsai is, and try avoid blasting them onto the soil, or
they will just crawl back onto bonsai.
Any organic sprays, such as pyrethrum, but be sure to try spray all the
aphids, and follow up sprays will probably be needed.
Just be sure to follow the directions as indicated on specific chemical
purchased.

Good luck

Old 29-07-2004, 12:55 PM
Craig Cowing

Iris Cohen wrote:

are the ants reinfecting my plant with aphids?

Yes. Ants are accomplished ranchers. A systemic insecticide like Orthenex will
take care of the problem. Some people say not to use Orthenex on maples, but I
haven't noticed any problem.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

I've used Safer's insecticidal soap on my quaking aspen which has had a couple of
major aphid/ant infestations. It worked quite well. I also use it on my pines for
mealybugs.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a sunset 37