Old 02-08-2004, 05:42 PM
Limnophile

Default Hornwort turning brown

My hornwort dies off every winter, and every spring I get some more from
the local pond. You might have better luck, but that's what happens for me.
It doesn't seem to do very well above 75 F/ 23 C either. But like I said,
YMMV.

Limnophile

"Giancarlo Podio" wrote in message
m...
"Limnophile" wrote in message

Hornwort also needs a 2 - 4 month "resting" period, with the water temp

of
2-8 C, at least every 16 months. In the wild, the water cools off every
winter, and it's well-adapted to the yearly cycle.

If you can't provide your hornwort a cold period yearly, you will need

keep replacing it. It also grows best at temps betwen 18-22 C. 25 C is a
little too warm.

Really? I've never heard of this before, nor has my hornwart had any
problems in 76F for over 2 years. It may be what nature throws at it
but are you sure it's actually a requirement of this plant?

Anyway, I usually find most people who have problems with hornwart are
low in iron, being a floating plant it's unable to get anything from
the substrate. Try a little Flourish or Flourish FE if already using a
trace mixture for the water column.

Hope that helps
Giancarlo Podio