Old 30-07-2004, 04:03 AM
simy1

Default Best books for biointensive gardening?

dan wrote in message . ..
I would like to learn, starting from almost total gardening ignorance,
how to grow a substantial percentage of my family's diet in my back
yard.
Any suggestions on good books or other educational resources?

Any comments on Bartholomew's "Square Foot Gardening" or Jeavon's
"Grow More Vegetables"?

I have been doing what you want to do for a few years now. I find it
very rewarding. the books you are considering are good books. Since
you are looking at those, I am guessing you don't have a lot of room.
It would help if you specified the zone, area to be cultivated, number
of people in family, how many hours of sun, and soil. some general
comments (if you need to know more, just ask):

1) for intensive gardening, the soil has to be very good. High organic
content, nice nutrient profile, and the texture that comes from years
of compost or organic mulch (and thousands of earthworms). so go
ahead, get a complete test, and then no matter what they say a little
rock phosphate and two years of manuring to get things going. Keep in
mind that the limiting factor for growth is almost always a macro- or
micro-nutrient.

2) some veggies produce a lot, some produce little. much of that "grow
more vegetables" is simply "grow more productive vegetables". If you
have a small area, you better like lettuce, tomatoes, zucchini, chard,
or french beans.

3) drip irrigation strongly recommended. I just installed my system
and I can't believe I used to be without. check one of my past posts
for how to.

4) some people can, some people have a root cellar, some people
freeze, some people dry, and I extend my season with hoophouses over
the beds. you can do all, of course, and some veggies are well suited
to some of the techniques (zucchini are great dry, but don't freeze.
peas are exceelent frozen, etc.). I pick my veggies well into january,
and back again in march. I am emotionally attached to veggies, such as
collard and radicchio, that keep top eating quality for months in the
middle of winter at temperatures of 15F.

5) go with the soil, the seasons, and the zone. some stuff just grows
well in your place, and some does not. Lettuce will grow in the fall,
but just not as well as in the spring. Just about every other salad
green will grow better in the fall. carrots in heavy clay are not
great, and favas in sand are poor. Okra does not grow in Seattle, and
zucchini resent part shade. Chard does not like acidic soil, and
potatoes alkaline. zucchini may regularly catch a disease but tomatoes
grow if only given sun and water. etc. etc.

6) you will need some equipment and you will have a learning curve. It
now takes me minutes to start a tray with 288 seedlings. It would take
me half an hour years ago. When you plan your garden, keep efficiency
in mind.

7) perennial herb patch a must.

8) mulch everywhere you will start plants. I just weeded a bed where
the soil was left bare (I ran out of leaves). It took four hours, and
the radicchio had successfully closed its canopy, else it would have
been much worse. Leave bare soil only where you will direct seed. it
is very efficient, as it will reduce your watering and fertilizing,
and alomst eliminate your weeding.