Old 03-08-2004, 07:08 AM
do not spam

Default Mushy Peaches

B & J wrote:
"do not spam" "do not wrote in message
news:TzuPc.21798$1o.21576@fed1read06...

I have two peach trees in my backyard here in Las Vegas, NV. One of them
had its fruit ripen earlier than the other and had no fruit quality
problems. My second and bigger peach tree is now getting ripe fruit.
This fruit is bigger. However, about 60 percent of the fruit is rotten.
I estimate about 60 percent of the fruit is affected. There are
various sized external "rot holes or just surface indications of it
being rotten. The fruit is soft and very mushy inside and is an off
color inside. Any ideas as to what is causing this?

Jerry

Here is a link to pictures of some bad peaches of this tree:

http://members.cox.net/jcjacques/peach/badpeach.html

Your peaches have brown rot, a common fungal disease of peaches/nectarines.
It's one of the prime reasons why peaches are so difficult to raise in our
humid climate without a spray regimen. Did you have some rain when or before
these peaches began ripening? Anyway, my early peaches that ripened during a
dry spell, at least those the squirrels didn't get, had no brown rot, but a
few of my later peaches that started ripening during a rain spell did. Check
this site:

http://www.caf.wvu.edu/kearneysville.../ombrownr.html

or type in "peach brown rot" in a Google search.

John

Did not have rain until the last day or two - but the infection was
evident before this. Did have an unusually wet February here. That was
when the trees started budding and blossoming. From the link you sent
it is obvious it is brown rot.