Old 02-08-2004, 03:10 PM
tennis maynard

Default Disa plants

Hillevi P wrote:
Some people in the swedish orchid society have tried growing Disas in
semi-hydro, experiencing that leca seems to be too "not-retentive" of water
(I'm going to ignore the grammar, etc in this post, and blame it on english
not being my mother tongue and me being tired =) ).

A danish guy posted on our messageboard, telling us about experiments
growing Disa in perlite and/or Greenmix. It had not worked, due (he
theorized) to the roots not getting enough oxygen.

I believe, or at least would like to try, to grow Disa in Diatomite. As it
holds water but is coarse enough to allow roots to get contact with air.
Maybe try with some similar but easier terrestrial first would be a good
idea?

//Hillevi

Actually, that sounds loke a good idea for disas. I would think they'd
have to be watered very often in diatomite, but I think the diatomite
would be a much closer match to their natural substrate than anything else.