Old 02-08-2004, 08:07 PM
dalecochoy

Default [IBC] Soil for Buttonwoods

Billy,
Have you tried Tom Brantley ( of Ocala) soil. Seems perfect to me, and I
would prefer his coarse type ( very similar to my own)
I've brought MAAANYYYY trees back from Florida for myself or for retail, and
the FIRST thing I try to do if keeping them is get them out of that goopy
goppy Florida nursery soil. They stay tooo wet and , especially during
winter inside, it is slow death. Everything CAN get root rot. I got a large
BC from the same vendor you got your Buttonwoods from. It just SAT THERE
and did nothing for 1 1/2 months after the show. Two weeks ago i decided I
better get it repotted to make it through my winter. What a mess of goop,
rotted roots, and rotted large roots of OTHER TREES traveling through the
soil that were never removed. In lose aggregate new soil it is immediately
taking off.!!
but,
Are you SURE your dead plants were from the coarse soil you used? I'd surely
doubt it. I gave up on buttonwood in Ohio ( like trying to overwinter a
tomatoe plant) but I always thought they were one of the trees for you guys
that establish well with few roots ( Or NONE!!)
Dale Cochoy