Old 03-08-2004, 03:43 PM
Rachael of Nex, the Wiccan Rat

Default Dog friendly plant that will tolerate shade and damp conditions ?

In my garden I have a concrete "patio" section next to the house. On the
edge of this and next door's border fence there is a patch of muck, about a
foot thick and two foot long. I'm not sure how deep it is but fairly deep I
think as the neighbor has a bed on her side of the fence and I think it is
actually part of that that crept under her fence before I got here. It is in
permanent shade and gets soaked quite frequently as I wash the concrete down
regularly (due to dog pee-pee) and am often inaccurate with where I spray
the hose.
At the moment a couple of concrete blocks cover this muck as I had a spaniel
who loved to roll in this muddy bit (now rehomed - due to other issues I
hasten to add, not because of that. ;-) )
Now she is with her new mum I am wondering if I can plant something in this
earth now it won't get either dug up or rolled on, cos the blocks look
terrible. I could concrete it in I guess but I'd rather have a plant.
Whatever it is has to be dog friendly (as my two will no doubt have a munch
on it), tolerate shade and not mind getting abit wet now and then. It could
grow quite tall if it wanted - where it would eventually get some sun if it
reached the height of the fence - and bush out a liddle bit but not too
much. So far I've considered cress and mustard mix. ;-) Edible to all is
prefered but non toxic to dogs and suitable for the conditions is the main
thing.

Any ideas ? TIA for any advice.

Rachael