Old 03-08-2004, 07:32 PM
escapee

Default another echinacea question

The one good thing about echinacea is that it does look good this time of the
tangles and brambling gardens of summer. I cut all of mine back about three
weeds ago, side dressed them all with nice fertilizer and they are all flowering
again. They do that all summer.

Now, for the swamp sunflowers. They come up everywhere in the back and right
now the finches are swinging on the plants by the droves. I have one which came
up in the front garden and it's so huge, I limbed it up and it is now a ten
foot tall sunflower tree! People stop and look at it like I'm crazy, but
there's finches and chickadees on that there plant!

I say, buy one of the 'Magnus.' I am not all that happy about 'White Swan.'

Vito

On Tue, 3 Aug 2004 12:23:33 -0400, "madgardener" opined:

thanks Vito, I was wondering if I was speaking to an empty
room..............I haven't bought these yet, but am wondering if I should
get one of each to release into the non-confines of my western bed where the
garter grass died a horrible death. Of course I can't afford to buy any
plants at the moment, but these leaves on the plants are so
awesome.......I'm just floundering right now.....my gardens are in the yuck
stage.........the swamp sunflower are EVERYWHERE, (do you want seeds to
scatter in the far back of your yard for the birds to feast on next August?)
once they start flowering, the finches will be here by the hordes. There is
that at least to say for these things. But invasive? Were it not for the
fact that they are really easy to rip out......................
thanks for hollering back at me!
maddie