Old 03-08-2004, 09:05 PM
madgardener

Default another echinacea question

--
Humankind has not woven the web of life.
We are but one thread within it.
Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves.
All things are bound together.
All things connect." Chief Seattle
"escapee" wrote in message
The one good thing about echinacea is that it does look good this time of

the
tangles and brambling gardens of summer. I cut all of mine back about

three
weeds ago, side dressed them all with nice fertilizer and they are all

flowering
again. They do that all summer.

three weeds ago? I like how youse thinks!LOL

Now, for the swamp sunflowers. They come up everywhere in the back and

right
now the finches are swinging on the plants by the droves. I have one

which came
up in the front garden and it's so huge, I limbed it up and it is now a

ten
foot tall sunflower tree!

Ummm Vito? I think what I'm calling Swamp sunflower, might have another
name. The leaves resemble marijuana, then the plants become wispy and tall
like. Then the flowers appear (a few weeks from now) like some overgrown
Coreopsis that makes seeds like the cosmos do. I needs to post you a
picture..................my wild sunflowers look like sunflower trees, and
the birds always grace me with around 10 or so, which I thin down to 5 good
ones, and the rains sometimes fell the largest and best ones (like this week
but I propped it up against the gate beside the zebra grasses and I'm
sure the finches will poke thru the immature seedhead and enjoy my attempts
at salvaging the plant to them.

People stop and look at it like I'm crazy, but
there's finches and chickadees on that there plant!

I feels the same way. I rescued a fledgling House Wren yesterday. It was my
own damn fault. I thought the nest in the windowbox that sits on the railing
of the kitchen deck was empty and went rooting around in there and out
popped two frantic fledglings. Then the third one popped out and before the
cats could nab him/her, I watched carefully and grabbed the little thing,
let it calm down and then put it back into it's nest. Hopefully
sister./brother found their way back to the hidey home. I feel like a heel.
Bad enough Piquito (stumpy natural manx kitty/hair bag) is big game kittie
and keeps harvesting my foul tasting beloved frogs from the BBQ
pit/fountain.....................$%^#$^#@%%

I say, buy one of the 'Magnus.' I am not all that happy about 'White

Swan.'

You got it. Tomorrow I come home with a couple Magnus...............if I
ain't fried in the heat, that is..............

again, thanks for holler back at me Vito..............
maddie
Vito

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Swamp sunflower or marijuana daisies.JPEG (70.6 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpeg Swamp daisies.JPEG (70.8 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpeg Swamp daisies in full display.JPEG (163.7 KB, 163 views)