Old 04-08-2004, 02:07 PM
Spider

Default Autumn/Winter bulb planting

Pat tallett wrote in message
Hi,
I want to plant a small selection of bulbs in about 15 pots/containers
which will give a continuous display throughout the winter/spring.Could
anyone give me a list of the most popular bulbs, their planting and
flowering dates, and their planting depths? After flowering, I intend to
leave them die in their pots and plant next year's summer plants above

them.
Thank you.

Hi Pat,

Tulips and Narcissi (inc. Daffs.) and Hyacinths are certainly a good option,
especially since you intend to plant above them with summer bedding. Larger
bulbs are planted more deeply, so there will be less risk of you damaging
the bulbs later. Most bulbs (but not all) are planted to three times their
own depth, therefore smaller bulbs/corms will be nearer the soil surface.
Don't, however, be put off growing small bulbs on this account; just be more
careful. Drainage is very important for bulbs, so add some sharp grit to
your potting mixture. It is worth remembering (assuming?) that all bulbs
are poisonous.

A good early (Feb-ish) tulip I have enjoyed is 'Early Harvest', a red/yellow
bi-colour. Later, T. cluisiana chysantha is good, as is T.' Tarda'. These
are all low-growing tulips. I cannot advise on taller varieties; my site is
too exposed and most tall forms fall over.
I also grow the smaller Narcs. (same reason!), and would recommend 'Tete a
Tete' (colourful, available everywhere, cheap), 'Jet Fire', 'Pipit' and
'Bell Song'.
Hyacinths, for their scent and to take you into early summer, are an
absolute must. (Do not buy 'prepared' bulbs for outdoors - they will not be
hardened off. By all means harden off indoor 'Christmas' Hyacinths for
future outdoor flowering).
Grape Hyacinths (Muscari spp.) will give you glorious blue later in spring.
(White is available, but usually less vigorous).
Dwarf Irises (Danfordiae and Reticulata spp.) are lovely - but slugs and
snails think so, too!
Snowdrops, for earlier colour, are great - but addictive!
Winter Aconites (Eranthis hyemalis - *not* to be confused with the
herbaceous Aconitum) are so cheerful.
Cyclamen coum are wonderful in pinks and whites - but planted just beneath
the soil surface. Risky if you're planting over them later.

If you haven't got a good background to set your bulbs off, it is worth
planting evergreen shrubs, such as Sarcococca and Skimmia (both scented in
season) in pots behind your bulbous planting.

Finally, squirrels and mice think bulbs are truly scrumptious! You could
try chicken mesh over your planting, but this may later impede your summer
planting. I usually dust my bulbs with sulphur powder (yukkkkk!!!) and this
helps. In quantity, it could acidify your soil,so you must take this into
consideration when both bulb planting and summer planting.

Hope this helps.
Spider.