Old 03-08-2004, 12:56 PM
Pat tallett

Default Autumn/Winter bulb planting

Hi,
I want to plant a small selection of bulbs in about 15 pots/containers
which will give a continuous display throughout the winter/spring.Could
anyone give me a list of the most popular bulbs, their planting and
flowering dates, and their planting depths? After flowering, I intend to
leave them die in their pots and plant next year's summer plants above them.
Thank you.

Old 03-08-2004, 07:23 PM
Robert

"Pat tallett" wrote in message
: Hi,
: I want to plant a small selection of bulbs in about 15 pots/containers
: which will give a continuous display throughout the winter/spring.Could
: anyone give me a list of the most popular bulbs, their planting and
: flowering dates, and their planting depths? After flowering, I intend to
: leave them die in their pots and plant next year's summer plants above
them.
: Thank you.
:
One for an early daff display is Rijnveldt's Early Sensation. The best way
for me to give you some ideas is this website. It's nothing to do with me
and they do seem a bit on the expensive side but I order every year from
them and they are always perfect bulbs and service etc. The instructions are
in the catalogue as well I believe www.broadleighbulbs.co.uk

Old 04-08-2004, 02:07 PM
Spider

Pat tallett wrote in message
Hi,
I want to plant a small selection of bulbs in about 15 pots/containers
which will give a continuous display throughout the winter/spring.Could
anyone give me a list of the most popular bulbs, their planting and
flowering dates, and their planting depths? After flowering, I intend to
leave them die in their pots and plant next year's summer plants above

them.
Thank you.

Hi Pat,

Tulips and Narcissi (inc. Daffs.) and Hyacinths are certainly a good option,
especially since you intend to plant above them with summer bedding. Larger
bulbs are planted more deeply, so there will be less risk of you damaging
the bulbs later. Most bulbs (but not all) are planted to three times their
own depth, therefore smaller bulbs/corms will be nearer the soil surface.
Don't, however, be put off growing small bulbs on this account; just be more
careful. Drainage is very important for bulbs, so add some sharp grit to
your potting mixture. It is worth remembering (assuming?) that all bulbs
are poisonous.

A good early (Feb-ish) tulip I have enjoyed is 'Early Harvest', a red/yellow
bi-colour. Later, T. cluisiana chysantha is good, as is T.' Tarda'. These
are all low-growing tulips. I cannot advise on taller varieties; my site is
too exposed and most tall forms fall over.
I also grow the smaller Narcs. (same reason!), and would recommend 'Tete a
Tete' (colourful, available everywhere, cheap), 'Jet Fire', 'Pipit' and
'Bell Song'.
Hyacinths, for their scent and to take you into early summer, are an
absolute must. (Do not buy 'prepared' bulbs for outdoors - they will not be
hardened off. By all means harden off indoor 'Christmas' Hyacinths for
future outdoor flowering).
Grape Hyacinths (Muscari spp.) will give you glorious blue later in spring.
(White is available, but usually less vigorous).
Dwarf Irises (Danfordiae and Reticulata spp.) are lovely - but slugs and
snails think so, too!
Snowdrops, for earlier colour, are great - but addictive!
Winter Aconites (Eranthis hyemalis - *not* to be confused with the
herbaceous Aconitum) are so cheerful.
Cyclamen coum are wonderful in pinks and whites - but planted just beneath
the soil surface. Risky if you're planting over them later.

If you haven't got a good background to set your bulbs off, it is worth
planting evergreen shrubs, such as Sarcococca and Skimmia (both scented in
season) in pots behind your bulbous planting.

Finally, squirrels and mice think bulbs are truly scrumptious! You could
try chicken mesh over your planting, but this may later impede your summer
planting. I usually dust my bulbs with sulphur powder (yukkkkk!!!) and this
helps. In quantity, it could acidify your soil,so you must take this into
consideration when both bulb planting and summer planting.

Hope this helps.
Spider.

Old 05-08-2004, 12:26 AM
Doug.

"Pat tallett" wrote in message
Hi,
I want to plant a small selection of bulbs in about 15

pots/containers
which will give a continuous display throughout the

winter/spring.Could
anyone give me a list of the most popular bulbs, their planting and
flowering dates, and their planting depths? After flowering, I intend

leave them die in their pots and plant next year's summer plants above

them.
Thank you.

********
What breed of bulbs?. many bulbs lie dormant after flowering and rest
and multiply until next year's season starts. being a bulb makes them do
that, - it's in their nature.. Perhaps this is your intention or you
wouldn't leave them in, - would you.
Or do you expect them (if they rot) to provide a small amount of
nutritious compost.
Please give more and better evidence. er, I mean information (!).
Doug.

*******

Old 05-08-2004, 12:34 AM
Doug.

"Spider" wrote in message

[...]

*****
Narcissus and hyacinths are OK to provide a show of flowers but
remenber they are early and really belong in a wooded area 'cos they go
daft after a few years and spread like mad under the trees. Just a
comment, and taking into account you'll have them imprisoned in pots.
Doug.
*****

Old 05-08-2004, 07:07 AM
Franz Heymann

"Doug." wrote in message

[snip]

many bulbs lie dormant after flowering and rest
and multiply until next year's season starts.

No, they don't do the latter bit. {:-((

[snip]

Franz

Bulb planting SteveB[_11_] Gardening 2 29-03-2009 06:03 AM
Nov 11 - Autumn Leaves Autumn Sky_8129.jpg John - Pa. Garden Photos 0 11-11-2007 10:10 PM
From BULB to SEED and back to BULB JandK23 Lawns 0 29-04-2005 03:06 PM
Bulb-Planting Baskets Joan United Kingdom 2 06-06-2003 10:44 AM
Bulb Planting Tony United Kingdom 1 31-10-2002 10:37 PM