Old 30-07-2004, 12:57 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Loquat (Eriobotrya japonica)

In article ,
"Spider" writes:
| We have just cropped about 3lb of loquats from our Eriobotrya aka Nispero
| (Spanish name).
| Does anyone else in this ng grow this tree? For those who don't, it's a
| very handsome small, evergreen tree with huge, corrugated leaves. It
| flowers during autumn/winter .. surviving 'set' flowers start to develop
| fruitlets in spring .. they are ripe/ripening now.
| We see many of these trees growing and fruiting in the South (we are in
| greater London).

Hmm. Yes, I have grown it (briefly) and have seen it grown fairly
often. It is marginal even in the south, and most of the older
trees were frost-pruned at wall height by winter winds; the very
mild winters of the last decade will have helped it, of course.

It makes quite a good foliage pot plant, and is dead easy to grow
from seed.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.