Old 05-08-2004, 07:47 AM
Tim Tyler

Default Blueberries 2

Rhiannon S wrote or quoted:
David Hill wrote or quoted:

The wife bought blueberries and forgot them.
Has anyone here tried growing blueberries from seed?

I watch the space around my blueberry bushes for signs of seedlings.

So far nothing. It must be possible somehow, though - otherwise
blueberry bushes wouldn't bother making blueberries ;-)

Don't a lot of berries have to pass through a digestive system to activate the
seeds?

The internet suggests planting seeds from long-frozen blueberries.

Reputedly the seeds' have an extended "nest period" - that needs to
be exceeded before they will germinate.

Blueberries are also reported to be very variable - so the chances of
getting a good plant are low.

The recommended method of propagating blueberries appears to be using
eight-inch cuttings.
--