Old 22-07-2004, 04:09 PM
Joanne

Default Blueberries

My blueberry shrub has grown a sucker, or at least I think that's what it
is. It's quite a long flexible stem, unlike the other stems.

Do I cut it off or leave it?

Thanks.

Old 22-07-2004, 04:14 PM
Dwayne

I think I would leave it. I was instructed not to prune blueberries except
to get rid of dead wood. They also said that the plant would put out new
stems from the ground and that they would also bloom when they were old
enough, and produce fruit. If after a couple of seasons, it hasn't bloomed,
then cut it off.

Dwayne

Old 22-07-2004, 05:13 PM
Joanne

"Dwayne" wrote in message
I think I would leave it. I was instructed not to prune blueberries

except
to get rid of dead wood. They also said that the plant would put out new
stems from the ground and that they would also bloom when they were old
enough, and produce fruit. If after a couple of seasons, it hasn't

bloomed,
then cut it off.

Thanks, Dwayne. Have you ever had stems from the ground, and if so were
they thick but very soft and flexible? They're not like the other stems
which is why I wondered what they are.

Thanks.

Old 31-07-2004, 08:28 PM
Tim Tyler

Default Blueberries 2

David Hill wrote or quoted:

The wife bought blueberries and forgot them.
Has anyone here tried growing blueberries from seed?

I watch the space around my blueberry bushes for signs of seedlings.

So far nothing. It must be possible somehow, though - otherwise
blueberry bushes wouldn't bother making blueberries ;-)
--
__________

Old 05-08-2004, 07:47 AM
Tim Tyler

Rhiannon S wrote or quoted:
David Hill wrote or quoted:

The wife bought blueberries and forgot them.
Has anyone here tried growing blueberries from seed?

I watch the space around my blueberry bushes for signs of seedlings.

So far nothing. It must be possible somehow, though - otherwise
blueberry bushes wouldn't bother making blueberries ;-)

Don't a lot of berries have to pass through a digestive system to activate the
seeds?

The internet suggests planting seeds from long-frozen blueberries.

Reputedly the seeds' have an extended "nest period" - that needs to
be exceeded before they will germinate.

Blueberries are also reported to be very variable - so the chances of
getting a good plant are low.

The recommended method of propagating blueberries appears to be using
eight-inch cuttings.
--
__________
Old 05-08-2004, 10:53 AM
David Hill

I am surprised that so long after posting my original question regarding
growing Blueberries from seed there have been so few comments, I always
thought that gardeners here were more adventurous.
Still I will be trying and will report back at some time.

On the subject of seeds needing to pass through a digestive tract, I have
found that if you mash the fruit and then add some water and let the whole
lot ferment in a jar for several weeks this seems to do the same job, again
I will report back.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries