Old 03-08-2004, 06:56 AM
Les linfoot

Default composted pine bark

I have fairly often read in this forum about people using composted pine
bark as part of their soil mix, which leads me to ask how exactly does
one compost pine bark? Is it the same as composting yard and kitchen
waste? Do you keep it dark and moist and turn it regularly? Or is
composted pine bark a product you can purchase in the same way regular
gardeners purchase composted steer manure?

And while we are on the subject, I cannot find pine bark locally but
have purchased something called orchid bark which, after a few phone
calls to the company that bags it and ships it to the local garden
centres, I have been informed is all hemlock. If it was fatal for
Socrates, is hemlock OK for my cryptomeria?

Les Linfoot
New Westminster, BC, Canada
Zone 8