Old 05-08-2004, 08:32 PM
Rodger Whitlock

Default inappropriate postings

On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 06:49:27 +0000 (UTC), Mike wrote:

...I know its
old hat, but I still open a door for a female and will walk on the outside
on the pavement.

You're lucky that one of the ladies so treated (oops, make that
"females") hasn't whipped out a hatpin and given you a good
jabbing for being so patronizing.

Out here in the colonies, sexual equality is taken fairly
seriously, and door-opening etiquette has been revised to "the
person going through first holds the door open for the one
following" (if the door opens inwards, otherwise if outwards).
But also "anyone with packages in their arms or otherwise
encumbered gets the door held for them", all regardless of the
sex of the participants in this particular social ballet.

Here's how to be an old-school gentleman and avoid being
hatpinned for your pains: simply ask "may I get that door for
you?" and then act accordingly.

ObGardening: anyone here much interested in perennial lobelias? I
see in an old Plant Finder that there are a great many cultivars
in the UK that I've never seen here. 'Russian Princess' sounds
pleasing, and the 'alba' forms Highly Desirable.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada