Old 06-08-2004, 12:23 AM
Matthew Durkin

Default Prickley Cucumbers

"Sue S" wrote in message
The cucumbers I have are Bedfordshire Prize. Are they normally prickly?
(not done them before)

Thanks

Sue
"Matthew Durkin" wrote in message
"Sue S" wrote in message
My cucumbers have got prickles, am I right in thinking that this is

the
plants way of protecting it's fruit and as they grow, they iron

themselves
out? Or do I have dodgy fruit?

thanks

--
Kind regards

Sue

you have a prickly variety! There are many different types of cucumber

and
some are quiet prickly. Don't worry it's quite normal! I have grown some
that were prickly once - perfectly tasty though! I actually bought some
quite prickly ones in Portugal a few weeks ago. Perhaps it's just us

brits
that like them smooth. It does make one think of the BFG... what was it?
Snozcumber?
:O)

I'm not sure to be honest! If yours have spikes they probably are! I'd just
rub them with a tea towel to take them off when you're ready to eat them...