Old 06-08-2004, 03:44 AM
escapee

Default Webworms II

If you have a good pump up sprayer which can get to the bag on the tree, you can
spray it with a biological pesticide which will only be harmful to the host
insect. It's called Bt-K aka Dipel, or Thurcide. It is an organic remedy. It
comes in powder (Dipel) liquid (Thurcide). The powder is wetable so you can use
it in your sprayer, provided your nozzle is not too small for the particulate it
will have. It works very well, hurts no birds or other insects other than
caterpillars.

BTW, the bagworms do not do a tremendous amount of sustaining damage to trees.
Once it starts to rain again the tree will leaf out again. It looks crappy, but
they don't kill the tree or hurt it long term.

Victoria

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 17:38:16 -0500, wc opined:

I've got 'webworms' in a pecan tree, I've noticed a few "nests" in a few
surrounding trees also. I tried the suggested (here a few weeks ago)
method of just tearing apart the web 'nest' with a long stick (a pole
saw in my case) and hoping the birds would come take care of the rest.

It looks like they've rebuilt the destruction I did, I never saw a bird
come by and there are other 'nests' too high in the tree to reach with a
long pole.

They seem to be doing a fair amount of damage to this tree, what else
can I do? My dad used to make a flaming torch and burn the buggers out,
but that seems almost as destructive...

Suggestions?