Old 05-08-2004, 11:38 PM
wc

Default Webworms II

I've got 'webworms' in a pecan tree, I've noticed a few "nests" in a few
surrounding trees also. I tried the suggested (here a few weeks ago)
method of just tearing apart the web 'nest' with a long stick (a pole
saw in my case) and hoping the birds would come take care of the rest.

It looks like they've rebuilt the destruction I did, I never saw a bird
come by and there are other 'nests' too high in the tree to reach with a
long pole.

They seem to be doing a fair amount of damage to this tree, what else
can I do? My dad used to make a flaming torch and burn the buggers out,
but that seems almost as destructive...

Suggestions?

Old 06-08-2004, 01:38 AM
Katra

In article , wc wrote:

I've got 'webworms' in a pecan tree, I've noticed a few "nests" in a few
surrounding trees also. I tried the suggested (here a few weeks ago)
method of just tearing apart the web 'nest' with a long stick (a pole
saw in my case) and hoping the birds would come take care of the rest.

It looks like they've rebuilt the destruction I did, I never saw a bird
come by and there are other 'nests' too high in the tree to reach with a
long pole.

They seem to be doing a fair amount of damage to this tree, what else
can I do? My dad used to make a flaming torch and burn the buggers out,
but that seems almost as destructive...

Suggestions?

Powerhose with a dispensor full of dish detergent.

Or so I've heard...

The other option is to prune and cut them down and burn the suckers.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Old 06-08-2004, 03:44 AM
escapee

If you have a good pump up sprayer which can get to the bag on the tree, you can
spray it with a biological pesticide which will only be harmful to the host
insect. It's called Bt-K aka Dipel, or Thurcide. It is an organic remedy. It
comes in powder (Dipel) liquid (Thurcide). The powder is wetable so you can use
it in your sprayer, provided your nozzle is not too small for the particulate it
will have. It works very well, hurts no birds or other insects other than
caterpillars.

BTW, the bagworms do not do a tremendous amount of sustaining damage to trees.
Once it starts to rain again the tree will leaf out again. It looks crappy, but
they don't kill the tree or hurt it long term.

Victoria

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 17:38:16 -0500, wc opined:

Old 06-08-2004, 02:16 PM
jojo

http://www.fbmg.com/diseases/diseasewebworm.htm

If webs are too numerous or out of reach for pruning, insecticides may be
needed to prevent damage. A high pressure sprayer is necessary to reach the
top of tall trees and to penetrate the sometimes dense webs. Breaking the
webs with a long pole helps the insecticide applications to contact the
larvae. The most efficient control is achieved when applications are made
after eggs hatch and before larvae develop large, dense webs. Use products
containing acephate (Orthene*), Bacillus thuringiensis (Dipel, Thuricideg,
Bacturs)carbaryl (Sevin), diazinon, malathion, chlorpyrifos (Dursban*),
methoxychlor or trichlorofon (Dylox). Since complete coverage is needed for
good control, a commercial tree spraying service may be necessary for large
trees or heavy infestations.

Old 06-08-2004, 05:38 PM
wc

Thanks for all the advise folks.

Looks like I need a *really* long pole, a sprayer, some wasps, some hungry
birds, and a nice blue northern. )

Old 07-08-2004, 12:40 AM
God Bless Texas

wc wrote:
Thanks for all the advise folks.

Looks like I need a *really* long pole, a sprayer, some wasps, some hungry
birds, and a nice blue northern. )

Well, I just generally blast them with a hand nozzle for a while. Like
someone said, they don't really damage the tree or nuts that much, and
it's kind of rewarding to spend five or ten minutes washing them into
the yard.

OTOH, if that Buddhist (?) sect is correct about harming insects, I'm
going to hell for a bunch of worms and fireants . . .
Old 07-08-2004, 02:41 PM
escapee

On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 23:40:36 GMT, God Bless Texas
opined:

wc wrote:
Thanks for all the advise folks.

Looks like I need a *really* long pole, a sprayer, some wasps, some hungry
birds, and a nice blue northern. )

Well, I just generally blast them with a hand nozzle for a while. Like
someone said, they don't really damage the tree or nuts that much, and
it's kind of rewarding to spend five or ten minutes washing them into
the yard.

OTOH, if that Buddhist (?) sect is correct about harming insects, I'm
going to hell for a bunch of worms and fireants . . .

Buddhists don't believe in hell, but you can go there.

Old 08-08-2004, 02:51 AM
God Bless Texas

escapee wrote:

Buddhists don't believe in hell, but you can go there.

Well, my statement was intended to refer to the question of whether
intentional mistreatment of insects would reflect poorly on the state of
my (karma/immortal soul/attitude/standing with the DNC), take your pick.

Your response, OTOH, seems to lead me to believe you should have similar
concerns regarding your attitude towards your fellow humans.

Please, do have a nice remainder of the weekend and good week. And
cheer up, the life you save may be your own.

Webworms Dave in The Ozarks Gardening 3 11-03-2004 02:02 PM
webworms Craig Cagle Gardening 8 27-05-2003 06:08 AM