Old 06-08-2004, 11:10 AM
Natty_Dread

Default Questions about Joseph's Coat rose

I planted an established Joseph's Coat rose a couple of months ago and it
has
more than doubled in height since I put it in the ground. I'm at the point
of needing a trellis, but before I get one I have a question about training
it to grow along a chain link fence that sits about 18 or so inches behind
the bush. Is that too far from the plant to use as a trellis? Will bending
the canes backward toward the fence do any significant damage, or should I
just buy a regular lateral trellis and stake it right behind the plant?

Also, this specimen has been quite a prolific bloomer since I planted it and
pruning has encouraged multiple buds, but to me the blooms seem small --
they're no more than about three or four inches in diameter. Is that normal
for a Joseph's Coat? Are there any particular strategies or feeding
products I can use to encourage larger blooms?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Rhonda
Alexandria, VA, USA
Zone 7