Old 06-08-2004, 02:16 PM
jojo

Default Webworms II

http://www.fbmg.com/diseases/diseasewebworm.htm

If webs are too numerous or out of reach for pruning, insecticides may be
needed to prevent damage. A high pressure sprayer is necessary to reach the
top of tall trees and to penetrate the sometimes dense webs. Breaking the
webs with a long pole helps the insecticide applications to contact the
larvae. The most efficient control is achieved when applications are made
after eggs hatch and before larvae develop large, dense webs. Use products
containing acephate (Orthene*), Bacillus thuringiensis (Dipel, Thuricideg,
Bacturs)carbaryl (Sevin), diazinon, malathion, chlorpyrifos (Dursban*),
methoxychlor or trichlorofon (Dylox). Since complete coverage is needed for
good control, a commercial tree spraying service may be necessary for large
trees or heavy infestations.

"wc" wrote in message ...
I've got 'webworms' in a pecan tree, I've noticed a few "nests" in a few
surrounding trees also. I tried the suggested (here a few weeks ago)
method of just tearing apart the web 'nest' with a long stick (a pole
saw in my case) and hoping the birds would come take care of the rest.

It looks like they've rebuilt the destruction I did, I never saw a bird
come by and there are other 'nests' too high in the tree to reach with a
long pole.

They seem to be doing a fair amount of damage to this tree, what else
can I do? My dad used to make a flaming torch and burn the buggers out,
but that seems almost as destructive...

Suggestions?