Old 07-08-2004, 01:11 AM
Wil

Default Mexican squirrels

"Jim Carlock" wrote in message
.. .
There is something outside eathing the corn that isn't quite
ready to be picked. I think it's squirrels, but I never catch
the squirrels actually in the corn. I think they're getting it
late at night, but don't know. I see the squirrels running all
over the place during the day but they seem to be really
active first thing in the morning just as the sun is coming up.

I've covered one cob in cayenne pepper and that cob was
100% polished off. The squirrels I am 100% sure came
over from Mexico across the Gulf of Mexico. :-(

I've read that birds could be eating the corn, because the
cayenne pepper does nothing to protect against birds. Two
little poodles do nothing and niether do the family cats. I've
even thrown certain half-eaten cobs into another area and
covered them with cayenne pepper. The squirrels seem to
love cayenne pepper.

Is there anything else that I might try ?

Deer love corn too. Do you have deer in you neighborhood. Look for deer
tracks in the rows of corn. Unfortunately there isn't any fool proof method
of stopping them except if you harvest the venison for the freezer.

Deer tracks
http://www.whitetails.com/tracks.html

Deer controls
http://www.deerbusters.com/