Old 07-08-2004, 03:10 AM
David Ross

Default www.rossde.com/garden/garden_potting_mix.html

zxcvbob wrote:

David Ross wrote:
zxcvbob wrote:

Is that a coffee can of dry compressed peat moss (spaghnum peat?) or
damp and broken-up peat moss, or bagged composted peat?

[zxcvbob is referring to my recipe for potting mix, in which I use
a coffee can as a measure.]

I buy the peat moss in compressed bales. But I break it up as fine
as I can before measuring. Then, I press it down in the can to
eliminate air from the measurement. I measure it dry (although
there might be some moisture from the bale). While blending the
mix (I do it on a patio table), I try to break up any remaining
lumps of peat moss.

I only add water after blending in the sand and (when not dealing
with new cuttings) nutrients. Plain dry peat moss tends to repell
water. But the blended mix absorbs water quite readily.

Thanks, David. That's exactly what I thought, but I wanted to make
sure. I need to take some rose and cestrum cuttings, and I've had
terrible luck trying to root anything in compost or commercial potting soil.

Even the most mature compost is still filled with the soil
micro-organisms that promote rot; that's how compost become
compost. Commercial potting soil may contain some compost and also
some nutrients, which are harmful to newly sprouted, tender roots.

--

David E. Ross
http://www.rossde.com/

complies with Web standards. See http://www.mozilla.org/.