Old 08-08-2004, 09:13 AM
gregpresley

Default ID Mystery Plant

It is possible however that a squirrel dug up the bulb from one location and
buried it in another, planning to come back later to snack on it - then
forgetting where - or getting run over by a car in the meantime. Normally
the bulb takes a year or two to settle into a new site and set blooms -
usually the first year or two it only sends up foliage in the late
winter,early spring, which dies down by mid summer.
"Cereus-validus" wrote in message
. ..
It would be impossible for a bird to drop seeds of Lycoris because:

1. the mature fruit is a dry dehiscent capsule not a berry which would

have
been eaten by a bird.

2. Lycoris squamigera is a sterile triploid incapable of setting fruit.

The bulbs must have been there for a long time but since the flowers and
foliage appear at different times of the year, she didn't make the
connection between the two.

"Wil" wrote in message
.
"Sarah D." wrote in message
om...
A flower I've never seen before decided to sprout in a shady area that
happens to be below my bird feeders. I have no idea if it's from a
bulb that I just never knew was there, or was somehow "planted" by the
birds. I'm suspecting it's a bulb plant because it looks similar to a
lily. It's on a single smooth stalk about 2 feet tall; no discernable
leaves, topped with multiple pale pink, lily-like flowers with yellow
stamens and a sweet fragrance. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

I suspect you are asking about a Resurrection Lily, also nicknamed,

"Naked
Lady". They seem to just appear around here. I wonder if birds drop the
seed.

Here is a link to a picture of one.

http://www.waysidegardens.com/webapp...atalogDisplay?
storeId=10151&catalogId=10067&langId=-1&mainPage=prod2working&ItemId=7918

Or if that doesn't work try this link
http://shorterlink.com/?W9C415

Wil