Old 08-08-2004, 03:55 PM
Sarah D.

Default ID Mystery Plant

"Wil" wrote in message ...
.
"Sarah D." wrote in message
om...
A flower I've never seen before decided to sprout in a shady area that
happens to be below my bird feeders. I have no idea if it's from a
bulb that I just never knew was there, or was somehow "planted" by the
birds. I'm suspecting it's a bulb plant because it looks similar to a
lily. It's on a single smooth stalk about 2 feet tall; no discernable
leaves, topped with multiple pale pink, lily-like flowers with yellow
stamens and a sweet fragrance. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

I suspect you are asking about a Resurrection Lily, also nicknamed, "Naked
Lady". They seem to just appear around here. I wonder if birds drop the
seed.

Here is a link to a picture of one.
http://www.waysidegardens.com/webapp...ng&ItemId=7918

Or if that doesn't work try this link
http://shorterlink.com/?W9C415

That's exactly what it is! Thanks! (the Amaryllis family came to
mind because there were no leaves on the stalk.) Now that I recall,
there was some previous foliage in that area that I thought may have
been a daylily. Perhaps this plant had been there for years, but it
seems the squirrels in this area love knocking the taller, colorful
flowers down, and I never "caught" the bloom phase until now.