Old 09-08-2004, 04:58 PM
Marcella Tracy Peek

Default Red Tomatoes disappear even inside "cage"

In article ,
(faye) wrote:

Hey guys-

TOo funny! No, i'm sure it's not my neighbors. I live in a townhouse
type of house in bay area, my plants are on my deck which is elevated
and I don't think my neighbor will be climbing into my deck to eat ONE
small tomato. ehhehehe

I tightened any "holes" in my wiring cage yesterday, and again, my red
tomatoes dissapear!! What is weird is i planted the root part of the
green onion I got from the store, and 4 out of 6 dissapeared as well!!
However, my pepper plant was left untouched.

I'm very puzzled. I've always grown tomatoes without any problems.

One year I had a similar problem. My tomatoes are also in pots on an
upper deck. The only access to the deck is through my dining room - no
outside stairs. Tomatoes were disappearing and I didn't think a bird
could haul one off nor eat one there and not leave something behind.
Then I opened the bbq and there were partially munched tomatoes sitting
on the grate. Apparently it was a nice, private eating room :-) Upon
further investigation it was clear that an overhanging branch onto the
roof made critter access possible. Trimmed the branch and the rat or
squirrel or whatever stopped getting on the deck and feasting. It's
amazing how small a hole a rodent can squeeze through.

marcella