Old 09-08-2004, 01:45 AM
Rodger Whitlock

Default Gluten-free alternatice to Soy?

On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 21:22:14 GMT, al wrote:

My wife really wants to make a stir-fry recipe she's seen for her Coeliac
mother next weekend, but it needs soy sauce. I don't think it will quite
work without it so I'm wondering if there's something that is commonly
substituted for soy sauce in these circumstances?

I was going to write that soy sauce is gluten-free, but then I
thought I better check my facts. Every one of the four kinds of
soy sauce in this house contains wheat flour as a minor
ingredient. (YHY Light, Pearl River Dark, Tamari Organic, and
Conimex Indonesian Sweet)

However: as gluten is a sticky protein, I doubt that much of it
gets into finished soy sauce. All the soy sauces I have are
liquids, not thick at all, and almost certainly containing little
or no gluten. Remember that soy sauce is a fermented product and
the fermentation process very likely breaks down any proteins in
the raw ingredients.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada