Old 08-08-2004, 10:22 PM
al

Default Gluten-free alternatice to Soy?

My wife really wants to make a stir-fry recipe she's seen for her Coeliac
mother next weekend, but it needs soy sauce. I don't think it will quite
work without it so I'm wondering if there's something that is commonly
substituted for soy sauce in these circumstances?

Old 08-08-2004, 11:34 PM
al

Default Gluten-free alternative to Soy?

"Jon S Green" wrote in message
Quite a lot of soy does not contain gluten. See
http://www.gastro.net.au/diets/glutenfree.html -- if the soy doesn't
list wheat as an ingredient, you should be OK.

So, my suggestion is that you substitute gluten-free soy sauce. ;-)

Ahh .. didn't know that - I thought it all had some in. I use Kikoman and
it lists wheat. Must have a look in the supermarkets then. Do you happen
to know if Tesco's/Sainsbury's, etc. carry a brand guaranteed gluten-free?

Old 08-08-2004, 11:37 PM
al

Ooopss ... I've just noticed I posted this here instead of
rec.food.cooking!! Sorry for the off topic post!

Old 08-08-2004, 11:59 PM
Jon S Green

"al" wrote:

My wife really wants to make a stir-fry recipe she's seen for her Coeliac
mother next weekend, but it needs soy sauce. I don't think it will quite
work without it so I'm wondering if there's something that is commonly
substituted for soy sauce in these circumstances?

Quite a lot of soy does not contain gluten. See
http://www.gastro.net.au/diets/glutenfree.html -- if the soy doesn't
list wheat as an ingredient, you should be OK.

So, my suggestion is that you substitute gluten-free soy sauce. ;-)

Jon
--
SPAM BLOCK IN USE! Replace 'deadspam' with 'green-lines' to reply in email.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:45 AM
Rodger Whitlock

On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 21:22:14 GMT, al wrote:

My wife really wants to make a stir-fry recipe she's seen for her Coeliac
mother next weekend, but it needs soy sauce. I don't think it will quite
work without it so I'm wondering if there's something that is commonly
substituted for soy sauce in these circumstances?

I was going to write that soy sauce is gluten-free, but then I
thought I better check my facts. Every one of the four kinds of
soy sauce in this house contains wheat flour as a minor
ingredient. (YHY Light, Pearl River Dark, Tamari Organic, and
Conimex Indonesian Sweet)

However: as gluten is a sticky protein, I doubt that much of it
gets into finished soy sauce. All the soy sauces I have are
liquids, not thick at all, and almost certainly containing little
or no gluten. Remember that soy sauce is a fermented product and
the fermentation process very likely breaks down any proteins in
the raw ingredients.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Old 09-08-2004, 02:43 PM
David Hill

For those with Celiac Disease, you may well be able to get a range of gluten
free items from Boots on prescription.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 09-08-2004, 10:01 PM
nambucca

"al" wrote in message
. uk...
My wife really wants to make a stir-fry recipe she's seen for her Coeliac
mother next weekend, but it needs soy sauce. I don't think it will quite
work without it so I'm wondering if there's something that is commonly
substituted for soy sauce in these circumstances?

There are Gluten Free Soy sauces

All Coeliacs in the UK normally belong to the Coeliac Society and a free
book and inch thick is issued every year with comprehensive listings of
every single food item

I know because my 3 yr old grandaughter is coeliac and stir fries are often
cooked in their house

Old 10-08-2004, 08:35 AM
jane

On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 11:27:08 +0100, Janet Baraclough..
wrote:

~The message
~from "al" contains these words:
~
~ Do you happen
~ to know if Tesco's/Sainsbury's, etc. carry a brand guaranteed gluten-free?
~
~ Certainly Tesco, and I think Sainsbury, provide lists of gluten-free
~products on request. Just ring and ask. Or, ask a reputable local
~healthfood supplier such as Holland and Barrett.
~
Sainsbury's definitely does as I bought some for a gluten intolerant
friend.

--
jane

Mark Twain