Old 09-08-2004, 06:32 PM
Rodger Whitlock

Default cutting a weeping willow

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 09:48:24 GMT, Pete wrote:

We planted this tree as a stick 8 years ago and boy has it grown ! It's now
reached a height that we feel is in proprtion to the front garden, and we
would like to 'prune' it so it stops growing vertically, are there any rules
as to lobbing weeping willows? As the last thing we want to do is kill it if
I cut it at the wrong time of year.

All advice appreciated

First advice: please stop thinking of trees as something you let
go until they reach a certain size, then cut back. It's a losing
proposition. The tree is bigger than you are and has a more
extensive root system. (I see Sacha has recommended root pruning
as well. Welcome to the world of giant bonsai.)

Second advice, since you will ignore my first advice: adopt the
French practice of pollarding the tree every spring.

Third advice: unless carefully sited, weeping willows are nearly
weeds.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada