Old 09-08-2004, 10:34 AM
David Hill

Default cutting a weeping willow

I would be inclined to do some root pruning every year as well as any top
pruning, this will help to reduce the vigour of the tree, other wise when
you prune it will grow back even faster

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 09-08-2004, 10:48 AM
Pete

Hi All,

We planted this tree as a stick 8 years ago and boy has it grown ! It's now
reached a height that we feel is in proprtion to the front garden, and we
would like to 'prune' it so ot stops growing vertically, are there any rules
as to lobbing weeping willows? As the last thing we want to do is kill it if
I cut it at the wrong time of year.

All advice appreciated

a pic of the tree taken this morning
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/corpsup...oonan/tree.jpg

Pete ( remove the HOOK when replying via e-mail)

Old 09-08-2004, 11:57 AM
Pete

Thanks David,
Can you please explain the process of root pruning?

Old 09-08-2004, 06:32 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 09:48:24 GMT, Pete wrote:

We planted this tree as a stick 8 years ago and boy has it grown ! It's now
reached a height that we feel is in proprtion to the front garden, and we
would like to 'prune' it so it stops growing vertically, are there any rules
as to lobbing weeping willows? As the last thing we want to do is kill it if
I cut it at the wrong time of year.

All advice appreciated

First advice: please stop thinking of trees as something you let
go until they reach a certain size, then cut back. It's a losing
proposition. The tree is bigger than you are and has a more
extensive root system. (I see Sacha has recommended root pruning
as well. Welcome to the world of giant bonsai.)

Second advice, since you will ignore my first advice: adopt the
French practice of pollarding the tree every spring.

Third advice: unless carefully sited, weeping willows are nearly
weeds.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Old 09-08-2004, 10:45 PM
Sacha

On 9/8/04 6:32 pm, in article , "Rodger
Whitlock" wrote:
snip
(I see Sacha has recommended root pruning
as well. Welcome to the world of giant bonsai.)

No, not me. David Hill, I think.
snip

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 10-08-2004, 10:40 AM
David Hill

Root pruning can be carried out several ways.see ........
http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile...ot_pruning.asp

I would use a spade around the edge of your borders, then if you hit large
roots then dig and cut.
I wouldn't do the recommended 4 ft from the trunk with a tree of that size,
also if you find a lot of large roots then do some each year, over about 3
yrs or so.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 10-08-2004, 12:41 PM
Pete

Thanks for your advice David, much appreciated.
Just one other thing, quite a lot of the leaves at the beginning of summer
had a lot of small black spots on them, turned pale yellow and fell off,
they now all seem fine, just wondering if this is down to any deficiency in
the soil etc?

"David Hill" wrote in message
Root pruning can be carried out several ways.see ........
http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile...ot_pruning.asp

I would use a spade around the edge of your borders, then if you hit large
roots then dig and cut.
I wouldn't do the recommended 4 ft from the trunk with a tree of that

size,
also if you find a lot of large roots then do some each year, over about 3
yrs or so.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries
www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk

moving a 15foot high weeping willow R P McMurphy United Kingdom 19 01-09-2003 01:03 AM
Weeping Willow - Root Depth Mike Gardening 2 02-08-2003 03:22 AM
[IBC] Weeping willow was Madrona? Henrik Gistvall Bonsai 0 25-06-2003 09:08 PM
Weeping Willow Problem dixie Texas 6 18-04-2003 03:44 PM
Salix Caprea Pendula? (Weeping Pussy Willow) janet.bennett United Kingdom 1 29-03-2003 08:44 AM