Old 09-08-2004, 07:03 PM
Alan Gould

Default Gardeners Delight cherry toms

In article , David W.E. Roberts
writes
Hi,

I have an awful lot of Gardeners Delight this year - basically stuck one in
each large pot with other veg. as these are listed as a trailing 'hanging
basket' tomato.

They seem different from other cherry tomatoes I have grown.

Instead of the green-yellow-orange-red colour change they seem to go
green-green/white-white/red-red.

The final red is more like an eating apple than a normal tomato.

The texture is also a bit 'mealy' and again not like other tomatoes.

Is this usual for this strain, or have I done something unusual to them?

I confess to being a little disappointed so far, but hopefully they will
make a good puree for freezing and later use in cooking.

Could you reveal which seed supplier listed Gardener's Delight as
'trailing' or 'hanging basket' tomatoes? They are a 'cherry' or 'bite
size' tomato. They can be grown successfully either indoors or outside,
and either as cordons or bush plants. Their fruits normally form on long
trusses, ripening from green to a similar red as many popular red
tomatoes, and are above average in sweetness. They are very abundant and
they should continue cropping until late autumn/early winter.

Problems with colour, flavour and texture in tomatoes are more often a
result of management rather than species. G.D.s may have done better
alone in a pot without competition from other plants. A mealy texture in
any variety suggests over watering or over feeding.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.