Old 09-08-2004, 07:51 PM

Default Is four hours of sun considered part shade?

On 09 Aug 2004 16:27:20 GMT, ojunk (Jefffooz) wrote:

The entryway to our house is located on the east, and thus gets sun only from
about 7:30 to 12 pm. I am wondering if this area qualifies as part shade or
shade. I have tried planting tiarella in this area, but they do not seem to
like it all, and promptly turned brown and died. I live in the mountains of
central California, and the summer temperature gets to a high of 98 F with a
low of about 30 F in the winter. I am trying to figure out a planting scheme
for the areas on either side of the entryway.

Jeffery

I like the AHS definitions, which can be seen at
http://www.almanac.com/garden/begin/shade.php