Old 10-08-2004, 02:33 AM
Shreve

Default Murray Self-propelled mower any good?

"Vox Humana" wrote in message
I need a new lawn mower and decided to get a self-propelled model as I

have
a rather hilly yard and I'm not getting any younger. After looking at
dozens of mowers, I have found one that looks like it would meet my needs.
It is on sale for what looks like a good price - $229.00 (was $290). The
problem is that I have never owned a Murray lawn mower, nor have I owned a
self-propelled model. The one I am looking at is a 7 HP, 22 inch, 3-in-1
model with high rear wheels. The engine is a Briggs and Stratton. Is

this
brand any good? It appears to be a discontinued model because the Murray
website doesn't show a 7 HP self-propelled model. I can get other SP

mowers
for around the same price, but they have smaller engines. I would rather
have a variable speed SP mower, but the prices for those is much higher.

You get what you pay for.

I had a John Deere for trimming, sold it to someone I know almost 20 years
ago. They still have it, and it still runs strong. Since then I've been
through a Wards(RIP) high wheel, a Murray, & a Honda Harmony. I purchased
another John Deere, model JS63C about 3 years ago. I sold my rider and cut
1/2 acre with a 21", simply for the excercise. I believe if you looked at
any of the name brands known for yard work, you couldn't go wrong. I was
not pleased with the Honda,Murray, or Wards.