Old 10-08-2004, 10:22 AM
Ron Hardin

Default Murray Self-propelled mower any good?

Shreve wrote:
another John Deere, model JS63C about 3 years ago. I sold my rider and cut
1/2 acre with a 21", simply for the excercise. I believe if you looked at
any of the name brands known for yard work, you couldn't go wrong. I was

At a half acre, consider a push reel mower, as long as you cut often enough
to keep the grass short. They're lighter than a power mower and _as easy to
push_. You don't have the noise. The American Lawnmower Company 18" is
fine; Scotts 20" (made by same people) is faster, if you get one with a
straight cutter bar anyway.

However you need access to a power mower if you get into grass-too-long trouble
from time to time. Also they don't do dandelions unless short.

If you have to mow because of patches of fast-growing grass where the rest of
the lawn doesn't need it, a European scythe ( http://www.scythesupply.com )
is pleasant to use, though everything you need will run $160 after snath, jig
and sharpening stone. You can cut an acre with it over a period of days, if you
want to just get out of the house occasionally. It leaves trails of cut grass
though. A perfect solution would be a mulching scythe.
--
Ron Hardin