Old 10-08-2004, 10:19 PM
DH

Default Which climber?

"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

"DH"

Can anyone please advise me on what type of climbers will do well in
this situation:

Able to climb without support about 3 metres up a metal pole (about 6
inches wide) in an exposed, north-facing position, ie. pole is a few
inches in front of a wall and the wall is on a balcony ten stories
high!

It has to be hardy, potted, give great scent and look smashing!

If that's not asking too much...?

Way too much, set you sights more on it surviving! you will almost certainly
have to give some additional support in the form of wire or netting as on a
smooth surface the wind will tend to remove even Ivy which by the way is
probably your best bet, although you could try one of the Honeysuckles
(lonicera) I find them ok only for short periods in pots.

I would love to try honeysuckle.

Do you have any particular recommendations considering the setting?
Also I was wondering if I could get away with a 10" wide pot
(considering I only need it to climb 2.5 metres) and then repot if
necessary.

And.. a silly question (probably) just to prove what a newbie I am. Do
I need to vacuum-pack all my clothes to protect them from all the
moths that will be drawn to the honeysuckle?

thanks
DH