Old 11-08-2004, 10:53 AM
Billy M. Rhodes

Default [IBC] Florida Soil: Didja wonder?

In a message dated 8/11/2004 12:52:23 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

I have often wondered about the heavy sand-laden soil that I find in many
pots with plants that have come from Florida.

Well, we have a very old joke here. A newcomer takes a soil sample to
the county agent and asks, "What does my soil need?" The report comes back in
a few weeks, "Everything but sand."
Much of Florida is make up of ancient sand dunes, not just on the
coast but for some distance inland. These ancient dune lines are frequently the
best building sites, regardless of what the Bible says. I have such a property.
Two and one half acres of old sand dunes. It is populated by "Sand" Pines
and "Sand" Live Oaks. The "soil" is mostly very fine yellow sand.
Organic matter added to soil lasts about six months or less before it
breaks down in our heat and humidity.
BTW, Mrs. Gopherhill says that every newcomer to Florida should be
required to live two summers without air conditioning. After that they could
vote and buy a house with AC.

Billy on the Florida Space Coast (A native Floridian, the child of native
Floridians and the husband of a Conch.)

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++