Old 11-08-2004, 10:53 AM
Billy M. Rhodes

Default [IBC] Florida Soil: Didja wonder?

In a message dated 8/11/2004 12:52:23 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

I have often wondered about the heavy sand-laden soil that I find in many
pots with plants that have come from Florida.

Well, we have a very old joke here. A newcomer takes a soil sample to
the county agent and asks, "What does my soil need?" The report comes back in
a few weeks, "Everything but sand."
Much of Florida is make up of ancient sand dunes, not just on the
coast but for some distance inland. These ancient dune lines are frequently the
best building sites, regardless of what the Bible says. I have such a property.
Two and one half acres of old sand dunes. It is populated by "Sand" Pines
and "Sand" Live Oaks. The "soil" is mostly very fine yellow sand.
Organic matter added to soil lasts about six months or less before it
breaks down in our heat and humidity.
BTW, Mrs. Gopherhill says that every newcomer to Florida should be
required to live two summers without air conditioning. After that they could
vote and buy a house with AC.

Billy on the Florida Space Coast (A native Floridian, the child of native
Floridians and the husband of a Conch.)

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 11-08-2004, 01:05 PM
Jim Lewis

BTW, Mrs. Gopherhill says that every newcomer to Florida
should be
required to live two summers without air conditioning. After

that they could
vote and buy a house with AC.

What a GREAT idea! That would cut down on the 1000 carpetbaggers
a day who are moving to Florida. I'll suggest it to my friend
the Legislator (who is, alas, a bigshot in the Chamber of
Commerce).

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Who lives in
the part of Florida with heavy red clay soil.

Old 11-08-2004, 02:37 PM
Luke Tulkas

"Jim Lewis" wrote in message
BTW, Mrs. Gopherhill says that every newcomer to Florida

should be
required to live two summers without air conditioning. After

that they could
vote and buy a house with AC.

What a GREAT idea!

Does "newcomer" mean
1. a (wo)man who moved to Florida anytime in the past or
2. a (wo)man who moves to Florida (from now on == starting today) or
3. any (wo)man who lives in Florida but wasn't born there?

I'd like to see all those non-natives sweating it out over two summers. ;-)

****

****

Old 11-08-2004, 08:43 PM
Jim Lewis

On 11 Aug 2004 at 9:01, Alan Walker wrote:

Jim: When did you do your two years in the sweatlodge? ;-)

Alan Walker

Years ago, Alan. I first moved here in 1961 and lived in a little
house in a dumpy town called Pinellas Park -- with fans only.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

Old 11-08-2004, 11:43 PM
Ed Trout

I grew up in Key West. A/C, what was that ?? Window fans saved the day,
and night!! But, in all fairness, I don't think I would last very long without
my A/C now. I often wonder how my early relatives made it thru these summer
months. They were the pioneers!!

Ed Trout
South Florida-zone10 & hoping Hurricane Charly keeps moving west

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 12-08-2004, 01:14 AM
Alan Walker

I remember those years, Jim. No "good old days" for me! I like my
A/C! I'd have to move away, if I couldn't have it.
Alan Walker

Old 12-08-2004, 04:35 AM
Bart Thomas

Hey guys....

Does a year split between Palm Beach (winter) and Pensacola (summer) and two
years in Jax qualify me for a grandfather clause? Of course that was well
back in the last century.