Old 11-08-2004, 04:06 PM
paghat

Default Cure for dog urine smell outside?

I have a small fenced in grassy area next to my home for my dog to roam
around in. Lately with the summer heat it has developed the sour smell
of urine. Does anyone
know of a simple treatment for this that is not harmful to my dog?
Thanks

Just watering the area should be enough, but if not, then churn the soil
to loosen it up in the area, reseed the grass (or plant a flowering shrub
if the dog doesn't need the entire space), & keep the area well-watered.
Watering will wash the urine deeper into the soil where microorganisms
break it down into healthful nitrogen. It is only urine close to the
surface that is working up an unhealthful bacterial colony that releases
ammonia.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"