Old 12-08-2004, 11:48 AM
Tim Challenger

Default Prickley Cucumbers

On Tue, 3 Aug 2004 23:20:51 +0100, Bob Hobden wrote:

"Sue S" wrote ...
My cucumbers have got prickles, am I right in thinking that this is the
plants way of protecting it's fruit and as they grow, they iron themselves
out? Or do I have dodgy fruit?

That's the way some are, we grow the Burpless Tasty Green variety outside on
the allotments and the fruit are very prickly. Just use a cloth to rub the
spines off, any that don't drop off can be knocked off with a thumbnail.

You might have a throwback to a wilder variety?
As an aside; in Austria at least, all the varieties I've seen have prickly
fruit. They don't lose the prickles, so just brush them off in the grass
when you pick them.
--
Tim C.