Old 12-08-2004, 02:44 PM
David W.E. Roberts

Default Figs

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
I bought a small (less than 1ft) fig plant (un-named) earlier this
year. It's in a pot and I've not taken much notice of it for a few
months.
Now I see that there are tiny figs in the leaf axils.
I know there is some ruling about taking off some fruit at the end of
the year, but can not remember whether it is the small ones that stay
on over winter or large.
Do my tiny, pea sized figs stand any chance? They surely won't grow to
maturity this year? Plant has 2 stems, taller about 18ins.

It may be a little late for this year, but with plenty of food and watering
you may get a fig or two.

Figs are continuous croppers - as soon as one set of fruit ripens the next
one starts to grow.

We are picking our Brown Turkey at the moment, and the next crop is already
'pea' sized and growing.

So far (several years) the second crop has never quite made it to ripening
before winter.

These "failed to ripen" figs are eventually dropped in the spring, when a
new crop of 'pea' sized figs grows and ripens.

So AFAIK nothing overwinters to produce figs the following year (despite
various urban legends).

I tend not to pick off the part grown figs over winter, but the tree drops
them in spring anyway.

HTH
Dave R