Old 11-08-2004, 05:54 PM
twig

Default Figs

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
I bought a small (less than 1ft) fig plant (un-named) earlier this
year. It's in a pot and I've not taken much notice of it for a few
months.
Now I see that there are tiny figs in the leaf axils.
I know there is some ruling about taking off some fruit at the end of
the year, but can not remember whether it is the small ones that stay
on over winter or large.
Do my tiny, pea sized figs stand any chance? They surely won't grow to
maturity this year? Plant has 2 stems, taller about 18ins.

Pam in Bristol

i have learnt not to touch the small/tiny ones as they are the ones you will
be hopeuflly enjoying next year.

our tree was 6 foot when we move in so i can`t comment on younger trees

twiglet

Old 12-08-2004, 02:44 PM
David W.E. Roberts

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
I bought a small (less than 1ft) fig plant (un-named) earlier this
year. It's in a pot and I've not taken much notice of it for a few
months.
Now I see that there are tiny figs in the leaf axils.
I know there is some ruling about taking off some fruit at the end of
the year, but can not remember whether it is the small ones that stay
on over winter or large.
Do my tiny, pea sized figs stand any chance? They surely won't grow to
maturity this year? Plant has 2 stems, taller about 18ins.

It may be a little late for this year, but with plenty of food and watering
you may get a fig or two.

Figs are continuous croppers - as soon as one set of fruit ripens the next
one starts to grow.

We are picking our Brown Turkey at the moment, and the next crop is already
'pea' sized and growing.

So far (several years) the second crop has never quite made it to ripening
before winter.

These "failed to ripen" figs are eventually dropped in the spring, when a
new crop of 'pea' sized figs grows and ripens.

So AFAIK nothing overwinters to produce figs the following year (despite
various urban legends).

I tend not to pick off the part grown figs over winter, but the tree drops
them in spring anyway.

HTH
Dave R

Old 12-08-2004, 05:30 PM
Kay

In article , David W.E. Roberts
writes

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
.. .

It may be a little late for this year, but with plenty of food and watering
you may get a fig or two.

Figs are continuous croppers - as soon as one set of fruit ripens the next
one starts to grow.

We are picking our Brown Turkey at the moment, and the next crop is already
'pea' sized and growing.

So far (several years) the second crop has never quite made it to ripening
before winter.

These "failed to ripen" figs are eventually dropped in the spring, when a
new crop of 'pea' sized figs grows and ripens.

So AFAIK nothing overwinters to produce figs the following year (despite
various urban legends).

I tend not to pick off the part grown figs over winter, but the tree drops
them in spring anyway.

I think the theory is that if you pick them off, it triggers the growth
of the next crop rather earlier, thus giving them a longer season for
ripening - very useful here in W Yorks where I am still waiting for the
crop to ripen.
--
Kay

Old 12-08-2004, 11:25 PM
Pam Moore

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 14:44:47 +0100, "David W.E. Roberts"
wrote:

It may be a little late for this year, but with plenty of food and watering
you may get a fig or two.

Thanks David
What do you feed them with? Tomato feed or something more balanced?

Pam in Bristol

Old 14-08-2004, 10:07 PM
David W.E. Roberts

wrote:

It may be a little late for this year, but with plenty of food and

watering
you may get a fig or two.

Thanks David
What do you feed them with? Tomato feed or something more balanced?

Pam in Bristol

Hmmm...generally unbalanced and unscientific.

This year and last I overfed with Growmore on the surface so that on each
watering it would feed the tree.

I have also used Phostrogen for liquid feeds.

If I have any tomato feed left over after the tomatoes have been fed, that
goes in as well.

In the past I have scraped off the top layer of compost and replaced it with
compost mixed with chicken manure.

I water at least once a day in the summer.

In general I treat a fig tree in a pot almost the opposite of a fig tree in
the ground - loads of food and water because the roots are already
constrained and the more you feed it the more figs it produces.

At least, that's my theory.

It seems to work for me on the Suffolk coast with my Brown Turkey fig in a
large eartheware pot.

HTH
Dave R

figs Judy Cosler Edible Gardening 2 01-09-2003 04:03 AM
my first figs in two years!! and some observations Madgardener Gardening 0 27-08-2003 03:32 PM
Figs DScott Texas 5 06-07-2003 02:32 AM
figs and birds John Savage Australia 11 05-04-2003 06:35 AM
Brown Turkey figs? Jane Edible Gardening 6 05-02-2003 03:11 AM