Old 12-08-2004, 04:59 PM
paghat

Default naming rights

In article , wrote:

My very own "madgardener", my mother died a couple weeks ago. I have

inherited her
vast gardens and fortunately am able to afford her garden helper.
What I would really like to do is get a golden yellow day lily named

after her. Her
name was Zlata which means golden in Yugoslav (where she was born).
Which is the largest lily hybridizer? Does anyone know if I could buy

naming rights?
Ingrid

Water Gardening Society (
www.iwgs.org) auctioned off naming rights to a
water lily -- just one, these rights having been donated by some
mucklymuck in the society (Texas hybridizer Kenneth Landon) -- & the first
bidder was willing to pay $2,500 -- putting the kabosh on anyone else
making a bid.

For daylilies I'd bet if you contacted hybridizers & made them an offer,
they'd be eager to make an extra thousand dollars if you made an offer, &
the name Zlata would be especially apropos. Perhaps you could contact some
through the American Hemerocallis Society (www.daylilies.org) who could
give you information on obtaining naming rights or at least a list of
hybridizers.

-paggers

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"