Old 04-02-2003, 03:13 AM
Paul in Redland

Default Help a Lazy Ponder Out?

Actually, the radius of a 2" pipe isn't 1". Pipe sizes are nominal sizes and
actual inside diameters vary as to the schedule classification of the pipe.
2" schedule 40 pipe will have the same outside diameter, but a larger inside
diameter than 2" schedule 80 pipe and neither one of them will measure 2".
What I'm saying here is, if you require very accurate result from your
calculation, use a ruler and actually measure the pipe diameter, or go to
http://www.gotspud.com/howto/pvc.htm
Paul

"Howard" (remove XYZ) wrote in message
It should be
(((pi r***2) * 12)/231) ...... because 231 ci is a gallon

a 2 inch pipe has a r of 1 and 1 squared is 1
(12 * pi) / 231 is .163 gallons

for a 4 inch pipe
2 squared is 4 so
(4 pi * 12)/231 = .653 gallons per foot of pipe

I always seem to mess up math so maybe someone would like
verify this.

Howard

"BenignVanilla" wrote in
message ...
OK, before you flame me for this question...I admit I am lazy and should

be
able to come with this myself, but I am lazy, so I'll ask here first,
because I am lazy. Did I mention I am lazy?

Does anyone know the volume for, or the equation for calculating the

volume
of a pipe per foot of pipe? IE, one foot section of 2'' pipe holds x

number
of gallons of water. I want to calculate this for various size pipes.

--
BenignVanilla
tibetanbeefgarden.com

Remove MY SPLEEN to email me.