Old 03-02-2003, 07:41 PM
BenignVanilla

Default Help a Lazy Ponder Out?

OK, before you flame me for this question...I admit I am lazy and should be
able to come with this myself, but I am lazy, so I'll ask here first,
because I am lazy. Did I mention I am lazy?

Does anyone know the volume for, or the equation for calculating the volume
of a pipe per foot of pipe? IE, one foot section of 2'' pipe holds x number
of gallons of water. I want to calculate this for various size pipes.

--
BenignVanilla
tibetanbeefgarden.com

Remove MY SPLEEN to email me.

Old 04-02-2003, 12:59 AM
Howard

It should be
(((pi r***2) * 12)/231) ...... because 231 ci is a gallon

a 2 inch pipe has a r of 1 and 1 squared is 1
(12 * pi) / 231 is .163 gallons

for a 4 inch pipe
2 squared is 4 so
(4 pi * 12)/231 = .653 gallons per foot of pipe

I always seem to mess up math so maybe someone would like
verify this.

Howard

"BenignVanilla" wrote in
message ...

Old 04-02-2003, 03:13 AM
Paul in Redland

Actually, the radius of a 2" pipe isn't 1". Pipe sizes are nominal sizes and
actual inside diameters vary as to the schedule classification of the pipe.
2" schedule 40 pipe will have the same outside diameter, but a larger inside
diameter than 2" schedule 80 pipe and neither one of them will measure 2".
What I'm saying here is, if you require very accurate result from your
calculation, use a ruler and actually measure the pipe diameter, or go to
http://www.gotspud.com/howto/pvc.htm
Paul

Old 04-02-2003, 04:04 AM
Theron

On Mon, 3 Feb 2003 14:41:09 -0500, "BenignVanilla"
wrote:

OK, before you flame me for this question...I admit I am lazy and should be
able to come with this myself, but I am lazy, so I'll ask here first,
because I am lazy. Did I mention I am lazy?

Does anyone know the volume for, or the equation for calculating the volume
of a pipe per foot of pipe? IE, one foot section of 2'' pipe holds x number
of gallons of water. I want to calculate this for various size pipes.

Here is a web page that has a chart of the amounts of water per foot.

http://www.thermidaire.on.ca/charts/pgw.html

Old 04-02-2003, 01:45 PM
Bill and Nancy Weiler

wrote:

OK, before you flame me for this question...I admit I am lazy and should be
able to come with this myself, but I am lazy, so I'll ask here first,
because I am lazy. Did I mention I am lazy?

Does anyone know the volume for, or the equation for calculating the volume
of a pipe per foot of pipe? IE, one foot section of 2'' pipe holds x number
of gallons of water. I want to calculate this for various size pipes.

Here is a web page that has a chart of the amounts of water per foot.

http://www.thermidaire.on.ca/charts/pgw.html

Haven't gone to the web page but the formula is rather easy. All
measurements must be in ft (i.e. 1 inch is 1/12 ft). Then the volume of
the pipe (a cylinder) is given by the formula V = pi(3.14) X radius
squared. Radius is 1/2 diameter. This gives the volume in cubic feet
of water. To convert to gal multiply by 7.5. So for a 2 inch diameter
pipe (radius = 1 inch) one foot long. Volume (in gal) = (1/12)sq X 3.14
X 1 ft X 7.5 In this example this equals 0.16 gal.

Another example: Volume in gal of a pipe 10 ft long and 10 inches in
diameter

V = (5/12)squared X 3.14 X 10 X 7.5 = 41 gal

Should you ever need the weight of the water (in lbs) in the pipe, just
multiply the volume in gal by 8.33.

This is probably more than you wanted to know.

Bill
--
Bill and Nancy Weiler
Tony, Wisconsin
Old 04-02-2003, 03:02 PM
BenignVanilla

Awesome...thanks for quelling my laziness.

BV.

wrote:

[...]

Aquascape and similar ponder owners ~ jan Ponds 25 22-09-2005 03:31 PM
2nd year ponder help needed Rick Ponds 24 31-05-2005 04:36 PM
BZT - Ponder's Special ~ jan Ponds 16 25-05-2003 02:44 PM
Aquascape and similar ponder owners POST 2 Gregory Young Ponds 2 14-03-2003 01:44 PM
OT things to ponder KenCo Ponds 2 01-02-2003 01:22 PM