Old 14-08-2004, 01:41 AM
Rogerx

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 20:02:14 +0000 (UTC), saki wrote:

"Shiva" wrote in
m:

Hi Saki! First of all, it's really nice to "see" you!
It's been a while!

Yes, I've been lurking, but not posting much. Busy with projects and
roses, not necessarily in that order.

Short version: garden has been very good this year with two puzzling
anomalies (Dr. Huey didn't bloom at all and Zepherine Drouhin was
stingy).

Been enjoying particularly Fragrant Cloud (in the ground this year and
much happier than in a container), Climbing Souvenir de la Malmaison,
Papa Hemeray, plus several new ones this year (Climbing Butterscotch, a
lovely coffee-apricot; Midnight Blue, really dark grape and great;
Lynnie, a dark pink shrub; St. Exupery, a blue-mauve with lovely
fragrance, have one bloom on the desk right now).

Back to the rose ID: I like the suggestion that it might be the hybrid
musk Robin Hood. The clustering, flower color and leaf form do look like
that. I grow a descendant of Robin Hood called Violet Hood and there's a
resemblance (except for flower size and color, of course).

But as far as its possibly being a rootstock...I'm not sure. I'm not
coming up with any good candidates from R. multiflora or fortuniana.
Perhaps someone with more expertise might suggest something.

All the best to those with homes and gardens in the path of Charley. I
hope you all sink in your roots deeply and can weather the storm.

----

Hi (this Rogerx, the original poster).

After reading all the posts, there are several points I would like to
bring out, the first- -This rose has NO fragrance . Does this rule
out Robin Hood?(the nearest thing I have seen pictures of).

It repeats, often. It is a little past full bloom, and is already
putting on new growth along the main canes that will start blooming in
about two weeks, I think.

It is only my assumption that this came from root stock. All I know
for sure is that I had a HT rose in the proximity of where this one is
grownig. When the deer ate my roses I was away getting tretment for
the big "C" and it was over a year before I was able to get out and
start working in my yard again.

I thank all of you for your time and effort. Rogerx