Old 14-08-2004, 05:20 PM
David J Bockman

Thuja orientalis, recently renamed to BIOTA ORIENTALIS. Not just the cones
but the leaves themselves emit a resinous odor when crushed. The leaves of
the similar appearing Thuja occidentalis emit a 'tansy' odor when crushed.
The hooks and smell make for easy differentation.

Dave

"DannyKewl" wrote in message
I just bought a house here in Cleveland, Ohio, and there is a tall (maybe

20
feet) bush in the front yard. Just curious as to what it is. Here is a
pictu http://www.geocities.com/dannykewl3/bush.jpg and it has many
"seeds" if that's what they are. I put a few in an ashtray and took a pic

of
them he http://www.geocities.com/dannykewl3/seeds.jpg

The seeds are green and oval, perhaps a half inch by a quarter inch, and
when rubbed have a piney smell. What variety? Thanks in advance.

---