Old 13-08-2004, 08:23 AM
DannyKewl

Default ID bush please - Ohio

I just bought a house here in Cleveland, Ohio, and there is a tall (maybe 20
feet) bush in the front yard. Just curious as to what it is. Here is a
pictu http://www.geocities.com/dannykewl3/bush.jpg and it has many
"seeds" if that's what they are. I put a few in an ashtray and took a pic of
them he http://www.geocities.com/dannykewl3/seeds.jpg

The seeds are green and oval, perhaps a half inch by a quarter inch, and
when rubbed have a piney smell. What variety? Thanks in advance.

---

Old 13-08-2004, 01:57 PM
Pam - gardengal

"DannyKewl" wrote in message
I just bought a house here in Cleveland, Ohio, and there is a tall (maybe

20
feet) bush in the front yard. Just curious as to what it is. Here is a
pictu http://www.geocities.com/dannykewl3/bush.jpg and it has many
"seeds" if that's what they are. I put a few in an ashtray and took a pic

of
them he http://www.geocities.com/dannykewl3/seeds.jpg

The seeds are green and oval, perhaps a half inch by a quarter inch, and
when rubbed have a piney smell. What variety? Thanks in advance.

It's a Thuja, most likely American arborvitae, Thuja occidentalis. And
speaking from the perspective of a landscape designer, it is far out of
scale with your new home and obscuring the entry in an unfriendly way. You
could try pruning it back - most arbs respond well to this as long as you
don't cut back to bare wood - but I'd seriously consider removing it and
replacing it with something of smaller scale and a more delicate appearance.

pam - gardengal

Old 13-08-2004, 03:28 PM
Iris Cohen

I just bought a house here in Cleveland, Ohio, and there is a tall (maybe 20
feet) bush in the front yard.

It is a Juniper, probably J. virginiana, eastern red cedar. The "seeds" are
cones. The seeds are inside.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 13-08-2004, 04:43 PM
Pam - gardengal

"Iris Cohen" wrote in message
I just bought a house here in Cleveland, Ohio, and there is a tall

(maybe 20
feet) bush in the front yard.

It is a Juniper, probably J. virginiana, eastern red cedar. The "seeds"

are
cones. The seeds are inside.

Iris, juniper cones (which typically are called berries) are rounded and do
not have the pointed scales that these cones display. I'm pretty darn sure
this is a Thuja of some species. On further review, I'll revise my initial
post to Thuja orientalis or Eastern arborvitae. The horizontal alignment of
the foliage fans tend to support this species more than the occidentalis.
(btw, Platycladus has been reclassified as a Thuja - that is outdated
terminology)

This link may make it clearer:
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/c...ges/Thuja9.htm

pam - gardengal

Old 13-08-2004, 05:55 PM
Vox Humana

"Iris Cohen" wrote in message
I just bought a house here in Cleveland, Ohio, and there is a tall

(maybe 20
feet) bush in the front yard.

It is a Juniper, probably J. virginiana, eastern red cedar. The "seeds"

are
cones. The seeds are inside.
Iris,

Eastern redcedar isn't seen much north of Cincinnati. They are very common
here and to the south along the freeway, but thin out quickly as you go
north. I don't recall seeing them in the Columbus area let alone Cleveland.

Old 14-08-2004, 05:20 PM
David J Bockman

Thuja orientalis, recently renamed to BIOTA ORIENTALIS. Not just the cones
but the leaves themselves emit a resinous odor when crushed. The leaves of
the similar appearing Thuja occidentalis emit a 'tansy' odor when crushed.
The hooks and smell make for easy differentation.

Dave

Old 14-08-2004, 07:08 PM
Pam - gardengal

"David J Bockman" wrote in message
Thuja orientalis, recently renamed to BIOTA ORIENTALIS. Not just the cones
but the leaves themselves emit a resinous odor when crushed. The leaves of
the similar appearing Thuja occidentalis emit a 'tansy' odor when crushed.
The hooks and smell make for easy differentation.

Great! First Platycladus, then Thuja, now Biota - wish those taxonomists
would give it a rest. Job security, I guess :-)) So how new is this name?

pam - gardengal

Old 14-08-2004, 08:15 PM
David J Bockman

Hmm...... Not terribly new, I noted it in Dirr's 5th edition of Woodies.
However, it's *really* not catching on at most of the nurseries I frequent.
Have you read about the Xanthocyparis debacle? P

http://www.botanik.uni-bonn.de/conifers/cu/xa/

Dave

Old 14-08-2004, 09:41 PM
DannyKewl

Thanks all for the replies, again just curious what the bush was that came
with the house. I'll eventually get the thing cut down, as it's just too
close and actually touching the house, unless there is any good reason to
save it.

Dan

Old 15-08-2004, 02:27 AM
Pam - gardengal

Okay - that's not new at all. Guess I don't really use Dirr as a conifer
reference. :-)And I haven't really kept up with the Xanthocyparis thing - -
I was just coming around to its being Cupressus. And since no one, even in
the trade, refers to them under their new titles, one wonders if they will
go the way of Hylotelephium, Actaea, and a few others renamed items.

pam