Old 14-08-2004, 08:15 PM
David J Bockman

Hmm...... Not terribly new, I noted it in Dirr's 5th edition of Woodies.
However, it's *really* not catching on at most of the nurseries I frequent.
Have you read about the Xanthocyparis debacle? P

http://www.botanik.uni-bonn.de/conifers/cu/xa/

Dave

"Pam - gardengal" wrote in message

"David J Bockman" wrote in message
Thuja orientalis, recently renamed to BIOTA ORIENTALIS. Not just the

cones
but the leaves themselves emit a resinous odor when crushed. The leaves

of
the similar appearing Thuja occidentalis emit a 'tansy' odor when

crushed.
The hooks and smell make for easy differentation.

Great! First Platycladus, then Thuja, now Biota - wish those taxonomists
would give it a rest. Job security, I guess :-)) So how new is this name?

pam - gardengal